Thursday, August 9, 2012

Indiana Dunes on Lake Michigan












It was a great saturday to go to the Indiana Dunes...or so we thought! We packed some snacks and all our gear and headed out. It is just about an hour away so not far at all.  I was really looking forward to the water  and climbing the Dunes.  I haven't been to any dunes since I was a teenager and my best memory of that is my brother flipping head over heals down the dune..he was 17 at the time so it was SO funny! sorry Jason it really was.
We played in the water for about 2 hours when over loud speakers they announced that the National Weather Service has issued a severe storm for our area and it should arrive within the hour.  I was so bummed, no dunes today!
We started packing all of our stuff and within 15 or 20 minutes they came back on and said everyone HAD to get out of the water. We were really rushing to get all our stuff at this point.  Brett left to go get our car so we wouldn't have to lug our stuff as far and this picture is the kiddos by all our stuff super sad to leave. I reassured them that we would be back.
The drive home was super scary.  We had to pull over at one point. The winds were 75 mph and it just wasn't safe to drive.  Luckily we made it back ok and still had fun. so not exactly how I had envisioned it but still a fun adventure with the family!

4 comments:

csharris said...

It was an adventure. The Kids will probably remember it forever. When they look back they will say remember the time when we went to the dunes. :)

kristi said...

So sad that you had to leave! Jillian's face really says it :(

kiki said...

I love the last photo. It's my favorite! The expressions on your kids faces are PRICELESS!

S

Corinne Ritz said...

WOW! What a fun and insane day! I know the kids were bummed, but they will remember it better because of what all went down. I can't believe those winds! Crazy!