Friday, May 4, 2012

Dallin H. Oaks



Brett and I were invited to go to The University of Chicago's Law School with a couple from our ward..the Chandler's.  They actually also went to UVA law school with us..but we were only there at the same time for one year :(  Anyways, it is always a little bit of an ordeal to go downtown let alone on a week night. Luckily I was able to find a babysitter and I was able to borrow a super cute dress from another friend in the ward...Sara you are way too kind..thank you thank  you! 
We drove down to pick up our guys..who happen to work at the same firm :)  Then we headed over to the Law school. For those that do not know. I am a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Dallin H. Oaks is an aspotle of the Lord.   I've always liked Dallin H. Oaks and being so close to an apostle is such an amazing thing.  He talked for a little while than opened up the floor for all of us to ask questions.  A few people asked some questions about his career..which was amazing by the way. Some asked about church stories..So I raised my hand and he picked me.  I asked if he had an advice for a family still in the thick of firm life and with little kids.  He was like well, it's like a bar graph..there will be times when it's focus is work, than family..basically you have to muddle through each day and just get through it.  Brett and I turned to each other and laughed..yup that's what we do! :)
There wasn't a ton of people..I'm not sure maybe 60-75.  So afterwards they had a little reception where he said he would shake hands.  We gladly waited a few minutes to shake his hand.  When it was our turn we told him we were the ones that asked him about the family life..he smiled and said I knew you guys were LDS when you asked about that.  We said yes, than he said well you guys are a young successful family. We laughed and said well not as young as some here. we have 5 kids and are muddling through. :) He laughed and said 5 huh, well you are successful for sure. 
The small moment of his time was so nice and encouraging.  Amazing that we got that moment and more amazing it was with my best friend. Brett I will muddle through this anytime you want. Love you tons!

4 comments:

Mindy and Larry said...

What an awesome story, Lisa!!! How special and I love how you were able to ask him that question and his response! Isn't it wonderful that there are special witnesses of Christ on the earth that we can have chances to listen to but also in those rare occasions, have the chance to have brief one-on-one moments with? As with you, I'm so grateful to the Lord that He has restored His church with 12 Apostles on the earth, today!!!

csharris said...

That is amazing. I love the question and advice. I loved the dress by the way you look GREAT. It is great to always hear you are doing it like they did one day at a time. You are an amazing family and I for one am glad to call you Friend.

Debbie and Bobby said...

Lisa from your facebbok post, and this blog post I've discovered you have a couple of friends in Chicago that I knew AT BYU. The soelbergs,were in our first ward andthe chandlers. tell Nan that her "co-researcher" says hello :o) we were in the same major together and randomly keep in touch through our blogs. I probably seem like a creeper,ha! I just love how small the world is in the church

Corinne Ritz said...

That is just really cool. How wonderful to have an apostle congratulate you on having a successful family. That is something I would hang on to. Good work!