Saturday, May 12, 2012

Father/son/children campout!

This is where they camped!
Brett was lucky this year to take Jacob and The 3 older girls on a camp out.  Usually it is just a father/son camp out but our ward does father/children.  Mostly due to the fact that our Bishop has only daughters!  We haven't done very much camping as a family so we were really lacking camp gear.  I did a lot of research of which tent was durable, easy to set up and have room for our family.  Costco had the best deal.  A 10 person tent with great features and a great price.  Then later the day of the camp out. I got all the stuff to make tin foil dinners. Now, I haven't made tin foil dinners...really ever. Yes I've had them but I have not personally made them.  So I went on line and found some great recipes.  I mixed up the meat and seasonings. cut up the potatoes and carrots and onions. Wrapped and froze them for the trip. You can't go camping and not have snacks. So I stocked them with chips, cookies and soda's...all the essentials.  Don't worry I didn't forget stuff for Smore's. I also packed, a tablecloth which Brett thought was funny and he didn't use. 
Brett got home from work and the kids and I met him at the train station.  We switched cars. Giselle was excited to ride in Daddy's car.  Then he left to meet up with a friend of ours and his 2 girls he was bringing.
They got to the site and began the fun time of unloading.  Took a little while but they got the tent up  and then went to put the dinners on the fire.  Long story short..the foil dinners did NOT work out.  So he grabbed Jacob and ran to McD's. I know sad, right! 
I surprised the kids with a bunch of glow bracelets in the cooler.  Brett said they were a big hit..and was also nice to be able to keep tabs on Jacob. 
They had A LOT of fun running around, playing Frisbee, football and eating fun treats.
Brett said Jacob never used the bathroom while there..he said it was too stinky. 
At 5am is when the storm started.  I heard the thunder at our house and thought uh oh. 
They quickly packed everything up and pulled up to the house at 7am.  I really wish I had a picture of the car packed for when they left and then when they came back...so funny.



Brett said the night was too crazy to get any other pictures and then he was planning on doing pictures today but it started storming so he didn't get any. They shared a tent with good friends The Korella's and I believe a kimberling was in there as well.   It was quite the experience and I am so glad they got to have this adventure together. Now, I am excited to go camping with the family.  I will triple layer foil for the next time!

2 comments:

Corinne Ritz said...

I've made and eaten a lot of foil dinners, and I've never frozen them. Is that maybe why they didn't work?

That is super duper cool that the ward has a father/child campout. Our ward does a father/son and a father/daughter. This year they did a father/son, but only 11 year old boys and older were invited so they could do scouting stuff. That really sucked. I have ONE son out of five who could've gone! I was mad! This was also the week after I gave birth to son #5. So of course, there is NO way my husband and oldest child were going to leave me all alone with the others. Our whole family was so bummed that daddy and the other boys couldn't all go camping that weekend. It is mine and Lily's favorite weekend all year long!

Wow, that was quite the vent! Did you like it? I'm really glad that your hubby and kids had so much fun!

csharris said...

Love the story. I was laughing so hard I almost wet myself. Went to Mcd's.... If your food doesn't work when we go camping we go to bed hungry or eat a ton of smores. There is no Mcd's anywhere. If a storm blows in we get wet because going home means a 4-5 hour drive.
Well it sounds like camping there is like camping In Virginia. In Idaho we are in the mountains. I think it is fun to camp but a ton of work. Anna still remembers when we went camping. They never forget those fun times. It is worth the work in the end just for the memories you make.