Monday, May 10, 2010

Sometimes it's good to be a FREAK!


The past couple of weeks I have been in a funk. Not a big one. Just a slightly overwhelmed and pretty crabby at times one. Most of this is due to lack of sleep I am sure. I had told my self a few days ago that I was over this and talked with Brett and had a good cry...really it was a good cry. I instantly felt better. Than I get to school one day with the kiddos and meet up with some of the greatest friends out there. Where I find out the kids Evil Principal was talking about me again!!!! Errr, that's a whole other post. Anyways, my shoulders slumped down and I dropped my head and said...I'm sick of being a freak! Everywhere I go with all 5 kiddos, I get. WOW, you're hands must be full...are they ALL yours? Don't you know how this happens? Are you done...NOW? and many more incredibly rude and personal questions. I usually have a pretty good attitude and just roll with it...but lately it's been getting to me. Luckily my friends instantly grabbed me and hugged me and told me I'm not a freak...then we all laughed.

-Mother's Day started on Friday for me. I went to a Mother's tea with Jillian. Giselle came too but Jakey went to my friends house....THANK YOU KATIE! * she has 5 kids too and of the group she has 2 sets of twins...so I really shouldn't be complaining*

The preschool did a great job with a yummy breakfast and cute flowers and even cuter songs. They also did a how well do you know your mommy paper...Always good for laughs. Jillian said I
was 53 yrs. old and 66 lbs...and my favorite drink is coffee....OK, nice since I don't EVER drink coffee and in my faith we don't drink coffee...so that one was the biggest laugh..for me!

Saturday is always a busy day but my wonderful husband let me slip in a pedicure with friends so now I have pretty toes! We then had 2 soccer games and then headed over to Brett's parents house for a BBQ. After that we went to a friends for cake for her daughters bday and then after that we put the kiddos to bed and Brett's dad came over and watched them while Brett and I picked out a firepit...YAY, we love it. We also did some grocery shopping....aren't we exciting!

Sunday- I stayed in my bedroom until 11am....SWEET!! The family brought me a wonderful breakfast with flowers and cards and tons of kisses...just what I needed.

We headed to church and Jakey did not fall alseep on the way..bummer, but the kiddos in primary sang to the mom's. Who cares if our oldest 2 daughters were fighting on the stand..I choose to ignore it and just listen! Giselle was swooped away by other wonderful mommys who needed some baby love.

After church we headed home where Brett grilled TONS of food. He made chicken and steaks and hot dogs...potato salad, watermelon, strawberries, chips and lots of drinks. Then a yummy cake and to top it off smore's off the new fire pit. We were lucky enough to have another super mom here with her 2 kiddos, since her husband had to work Brett didn't want her to have to cook.

The night ended watching Friday Night Lights.

Why did I write this all down? Well, this is like a journal for me and you know what...If this is what a freak does, than I think sometime's it good to be a freak.


There is a GREAT quote from the wife of the former President of our church:


This is how I feel about my job:

" I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed,and with long perfectly, manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someones garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheek and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here, and that I really lived." Marjorie Pay Hinkley

16 comments:

kaysi van dyke fox said...

lisa, you are so cute & you have the most darling family!!!!! i think everyone goes through that every once in a while!! :) happy mothers day!!!!

Krystal said...

Hang in there! I'm just starting to not feel too overwhelmed with 4 and really every time I go somewhere with all the kids by myself I feel like I'm going to freak out. You're a great mom, those kids are lucky to have you. My mom got the same crap from people when we lived in Maryland. I always think it's so lame when people say "You really have your hands full" and then don't even open the door for you or anything helpful. I just know that I'm glad to have so many kids so I won't be lonely and alone when I'm old.

MissManda-Mae said...

i love you lisa... you are NO FREAK! .... you are my HERO!!! Great post! It was wonderful! so glad you had a great mother's day!!

Tiffany said...

You're so cute! I love that quote! I'm sure you're a wonderful mom and doing the best you can and who cares if some people think you're a freak?! Your job is the most important one there is...I have to remind myself of that. :) Move to Utah and you'll fit right in with most of us! :) You should come up with a response to throw people for a loop when people say things like that. Hope things get better for you! You're an amazing mom!

kiki said...

love that quote, i want to hang it on my wall.

Senta

Joan said...

Love your post Lisa! I think the whole new baby/lack of sleep/taking care of 4 other kids-thing really can wear you down and at some point you breakdown. You wallow in it for a bit, then you pick yourself back up, accept your situation, and become stronger than you were before. For me, I tend to break down and pick myself back up several times before I get better, but I get there eventually!

And yes, some people can be extremely rude -- sometimes its intentional and sometimes not. I don't know, there's something about being pregnant or having kids that makes total strangers completely loose the filter that should be over their mouths. I always get completely ridiculous comments from people when I am pregnant because of how big I get. Thank you, I have a mirror so I'm pretty sure I already know I'm huge!!

Lisa, you truly are an inspiration to me. You are a smart, funny, beautiful woman that has 5 great kids. Keep up the good work!

The aMAYSing Family said...

Thanks for keeping it real Lisa - I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets the freak treatment :) some days it bugs me other days I could care less. They don't matter so just keep doing what you know is right - I do want to hear more about the evil principal though ..do tell ;)

The Fox Family said...

Good post! It is such good therapy to write your feelings down inst it? I LOVE that quote at the bottom by Sis. Hinckley. I read it on Cheryl's blog yesterday, you should go check out her post. It's a good one too! I think you are a super awesome Momma by the way!

kristi said...

You are a freak, I am a freak so lets be freaks together. That is what I say about it :) I love you and you are definitely one fantastic momma!!!!!

Betsy said...

So sorry that people are rude. That's the worst. I am really sensitive about stranger's comments (you'll have to vent about the principal so we can all tell you how ridiculous she is!). You are wonderful and such a great mom. I know my mother-in-law got lots of flak with 10 kids in this area. You should come up with a snappy comeback - like, "really? you think this is busy? You should see it when the older kids get home from junior high! it's really crazy then!" Or, "oh, I'm just getting started!" Something along those lines! Good luck!

Karrot Soup said...

My favorite reply that I've heard to the "are they all yours" question was Alice Teti (do you remember her?) -- she said all excitedly, "Yes, and all the same father too!!"
You go girl.

csharris said...

I think people are just completely in awe of you and feel so unworthy that they do not know what to say so they are rude! When in the presence of an elect lady as yourself they want you not to feel the way you should confident and beautiful. You are doing something they themselves are afraid of. Just give me the number of that principle I will give her something to talk about:)

Mindy and Larry said...

Lisa, you are not a freak! I know you know that, but there are times, I'm sure you just feel soooo criticized and well, people just don't understand! People are always going to say stuff-- I got all kinds of comments about why I wasn't married, yet (back before I got married) and then now, (at least at church) why I don't have more kids than I have! It really stinks to be asked "When is #2coming along?" when you've been trying for almost 18 months!!! (You understand.) It's really hard because my "worldly-friendly-sized family" of 2 kids actually isn't how I planned it at all! And my mom got all those same looks and comments you are getting! So, you are definitely not alone! Just be proud that you can afford that many kids and can actually love them and care for them and stay home with them. And you could always make some smart comment in response to someone who doesn't have any business commenting like, "Well, you think I have a lot, 5 is nothing compared to famous Michelle Dugger with the 19 kids and counting!" Or something even more witty than that!
I love you so much, and I have great admiration for you as a mother, wife, and sister-in-law! Your true friends and family don't think you're freaky, just very blessed!

The Newlons said...

You are such a sweet lady! I also love the looks I get going into Walmart...haha... I load the kids up INTO the cart, use my HUGE pregnant belly to steer sometimes and throw the groceries UNDER the cart. : ) And when people say... are you going to stop now.... I just think of all the goodnight kisses I get and the "mommy you are so pretties" and think these people are the crazy ones to not want that x5! : )

Nonnie said...

I just went on your fb page to leave a message because I saw that you had called but didn't have time to call you back then, left my phone at the church after our Primary mtg! I'm so glad I did because I felt like I just caught up on your amazing life and you're just down the road!! I have to tell you Lisa that I know you and you embody all that Sister Hinckley says in her quote and better yet you inspire me to be the same way! I love and admire you! And if you're a freak than heaven is full of freaks and I hope to be considered one too one day!

mommyof3 said...

Lisa~ My mom would get that all the time because she had 5 kids, people would always act like it was such a big deal!!! My mom took it in stride and tried not to let it bother her! But even though people are rude and insensitive, I have always looked up to my mom, and can only wish i can be the mom she was 5 kids and all!!! And I am sure your girls look up to you as well, regardless on what people say :)|
Bridget