Sunday, May 23, 2010

Running a 5K is like having your first baby!

I ran my first ever 5K yesterday. The day before the race I had butterflies the whole day. I was super excited but super nervous. What if I can't do it...or fall or come in last. Then I would think to myself- I can do this, I know I haven't trained very much ....OK at all. Still it will be great.
Before the race starts I had a great friend there to keep me pumped..and help settle the nerves. I watched tons of people stretch and hear others talk of the dozens of races they've done. * just like when you have a baby...you hear EVERY ONE'S birth story*

I have my number I'm ready to go. I take off with the pack. I pace myself and think just remember to breathe. I run the 1st mile without stopping once...but then decide I have to walk for just a minute...they have cones every 100 yards. I decide to only walk from one cone to the next...I didn't come here to walk a 5K after all. Sometime between mile 1 and mile 2 I am by myself. I realize, bummer I don't have my ipod with me...but then again I think I have maybe 2 songs on it..yeah I really need to put some songs on there. OK so I am by myself and it is very rare to have no one asking me for something. By this time I am really starting to feel it...I have a side cramp but their is NO way I'm giving up. There was another kid running somewhat by me..I say kid because he had to be maybe 18. Him and I were constantly passing each other...when we got up to the water spot...I don't know what to call it except they hand you cups of water and you are allowed to drink it running and throw it on the ground. I kept thinking my girls would've been mortified at all the littering :) Anyways I turn to him and said come on lets run hard. So we did. That was the extent of our conversation. I go down a trail and cross a bridge, I am breathing heavy but still not stopping. I come around a corner and go up a hill where a group of people are cheering runners on...it was so nice to hear them cheer you can do it 491 you're doing great. Even if it was a stranger it still feels good. The concept of time is totally gone..I'm thinking I really hope I am under an hour. Then I get to the last bend before coming up to the school where we begin and a cop yells out " you're almost there and you're under 40...I'm like..what no way! Sure enough I get up to the finish and get a time of 37:02. I was so excited...but immediately sat on the curb. I was bummed I didn't have my cute family there to cheer me on when crossing the finish line..but with 5 kids Saturdays are always super busy.
Now that I have run one..I am ready for another one...this time I will do a lot more to prepare.
* just like I say every time we have a baby!*


8 comments:

The aMAYSing Family said...

LOVE IT! Good for you! You had an awesome time I'm surprised you were by yourself. I think it's an eye opener to see how many people are so hardcore about running these things and how competitive they are. I will totally run one for you <-- LOL I mean...WITH you....next few months life should be more settled for me so we should do some 5k's and a 10k...1/2 marathons are a bit too ambitious for me at this point - but never know.

The Fox Family said...

Good for you Lisa! That is awesome! I don't know if I will ever be brave enough to run a 5k.

Adam, Annie, Josan and Calvin said...

oh no way Lisa!!!! I m totally amazed by you now! :)
I want to try it so bad but i ve always been to nervous! now reading your post i want to do it!!!!!

Good job you re so awesome!

Betsy said...

That's so great! I could never do that!

Funny Mommy said...

YAY FOR RUNNING! my family wasn't at mine either and it is kind of a downer, but you understand. I'm so proud of you. great job!! you look great! can't even tell you have five children!

Mindy and Larry said...

Congratulations on such a great time of just over 37 min for 5 klicks! I'm in awe of all you do! You are looking great after baby #5 btw!

Senta said...

You go GIRL! My nephew Eric just ran one without any training at the last min. and got a 19.08- I wanted to vomit!
I could maybe get one done in 1 hour and that's a big maybe!!! lol

Anonymous said...

it is like having your first baby, but after winning the race I felt like I was beat with a shovel.