Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rainbow cake

The blog idearoom.blogspot had a really fun cake called the rainbow cake. The girls all fell in love with it. I thought hey that sounds like fun. So over easter weekend we got together with Brett's family to celebrate all the birthdays that happened in March and April for a grand total of 5 people. There was a whole lot of Happy Birthday singing going on.
I decided to use yellow cake mix insted of white because that is what I had. It turned out ok, but next time I will go and get the white cake mix so the colors will be more vibrant. This was 5 layers...it was HUGE!!! I cut out little pics of the kids bdays we celebrated rather than try to write all their names..plus I have terrible handwriting. Then we put the amount of candles in front of each picture!
The top has skittles all around it...can you taste the rainbow?
Umm...so a little lopsided obviously...haha it was fun trying to keep it even. A little trick of frosting the cake...put the cake in the freezer for like 20 minutes than frost...it is so much easier that way.

4 comments:

MissManda-Mae said...

I saw that rainbow cake on a blog! great job! i'm sure it was yummy!

Mindy and Larry said...

Loved the cake, Lisa! Thanks for sharing the tidbit about freezing it...I'm sure the next one will be absolutely perfect!

Jules said...

Good job! I am not a good cake-maker and am thoroughly impressed!

kiki said...

have you ever made the 100 layer jello stuff?

Senta